Do you find there are times when you’re struggling to communicate the value of a digital preservation solution?
We’ve heard on numerous occasions from our customers that they often have to defend a business case of installing such a solution against a backdrop of ‘we have a backup already’, or, ‘we have SharePoint to store our assets in’ in order to explain the benefits.
This can be the case if stakeholders are not fully aware of what a digital archiving and preservation solution can provide. Whilst we won’t go into this topic in this post, you can find some guidance in the below two articles.
Ultimately, embedding efficient digital-first processes can reward organisations with various efficiencies.
For the purposes of this article, I want to focus on equipping you with a snapshot of benefits you can present and explain back. I’ve broken these down into two categories.
The financial efficiencies of a digital preservation solution
Operations and time
- Storing your digital assets within a central repository can save precious time which would have otherwise been spent trying to find information and circulate it to those who need it.
- As stakeholders are able to search and access your archived assets, you decrease the risk of work being duplicated or from records going ‘missing’.
Data and information management
- Save on storage costs and physical space by moving from paper storage to a digital alternative.
- Integrate disparate datasets and manage them efficiently as a combined entity to enable easy search and location.
- Reduce the number of copies held locally by using an external cloud-based archiving service that offers 100% data integrity, such as Arkivum’s digital archiving and preservation solution.
The non-financial efficiencies of a digital preservation solution
Culture and community
- Preserve records of historical and cultural value for future generations. Active preservation provides the assurance that your institute’s assets are safeguarded, searchable, accessible and readable far into the future.
- Improve awareness of your institute and build upon your image by opening and enabling your assets for external use. This will also help support research and education.
Reputation and profile
- A high-quality data preservation solution will raise the profile of your collections and protect you from cyber-attacks and sequential reputational damage. It will also help you to establish and disseminate good practice in digital preservation to all areas of your institution.
- Demonstrate innovation – be seen as an organisation at the forefront of digital archiving and preservation.
If you would like further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
16 Sep, 2021
Data Archiving Supplier Checklist: The key questions you need to ask prospective suppliers
26 Aug, 2021